Slavery & the Abolition Movement Lesson Plans
PowerPoint, Reading Passage, Activities, Quiz
This resource pack is a no prep complete lesson (GOOGLE version included!) about slavery & the abolition movement of the 19th century that includes 3-5 days of materials. Audios of the reading passage & quiz are included. This is perfect for students with read aloud accommodations. This resource can also be easily used for distance/digital learning because all components are available in a digital format.
Includes: slavery in the North & South; expansion of slavery; the Missouri Compromise; the Compromise of 1850; the Fugitive Slave Law; the Kansas-Nebraska Act; slave codes; Anti-Slavery political parties & societies; rebellions & uprisings (Denmark Vesey, Nat Turner, “day-to-day” resistance); Harriet Beecher Stowe & Uncle Tom’s Cabin; David Walker; Frederick Douglass; Sojourner Truth; Harriet Tubman & the Underground Railroad; the brutal treatment of people who were enslaved; treatment of free African Americans in the South & North; & the Dred Scott v. Sandford Supreme Court case.
WANT TO TRY A FREE NO PREP LESSON? DOWNLOAD MY COLD WAR SUPERPOWERS TO CHECK IT OUT!
Looking for something more comprehensive? Check out my Age of Jackson & Sectionalism curriculum unit.
This lesson is included in the Age of Jackson & Sectionalism Unit Bundle. Buy the bundle and save 25%!
Perfect for sub plans!
This lesson can teach itself. Students can easily check their own answers with the included answer keys.
Limited on copies or paper? Every component of this lesson is ready-to-go on GOOGLE slides, so you can easily assign to your students! The quiz is also available on GOOGLE Forms, and I include explicit directions on how to assign and tweak (if desired) for your students. The quiz is also self-grading!
• 36 slide PowerPoint presentation that can be used to facilitate discussion or have students take notes (PowerPoint presentation includes carefully curated videos & links that will enrich the lesson)
• slotted notes page so students can focus on recording the important information from the PowerPoint presentation Editable slotted notes included!
• informational reading passage about slavery & the abolition movement (There are TWO versions of the reading passage included. One is the “paper saver” version for when you have to limit your copies. The other is the “note-taking” version that has enough space for annotating and taking notes. This version also includes bolded headers for the different sections!)
• 2 worksheet pages with 4 activities (key terms, dates & events, data analysis, and a literacy connection) Each activity has two levels: a basic recall and an application of knowledge.
• answer keys for the slotted notes, activity pages, and the quiz
• GOOGLE version of all components
• GOOGLE Form self-grading quiz
• audio of reading passage & quiz
→Short on time?←
Simply give students the reading passage, and they can complete the activities independently. All information needed for the activities is contained in the reading passage! This can also be used for homework.
++++++++++US HISTORY CURRICULA++++++++++
♦US History Curriculum Complete Course
♦US History Curriculum Vol. 1
♦US History Curriculum Vol. 2
♦Unit 2: Colonial America
♦Unit 3: American Revolution
♦Unit 4: Constitution & A New Nation
♦Unit 5: Age of Jackson & Sectionalism
♦Unit 6: US Civil War & Reconstruction
♦Unit 7: Gilded Age
♦Unit 8: Progressive Era & American Imperialism
♦Unit 9: World War 1
♦Unit 10: Roaring ’20s & Great Depression
♦Unit 11: World War 2
==========NO PREP UNITS FOR US HISTORY==========
→Indigenous Peoples of North America Unit Bundle
→Colonial America Unit Bundle
→American Revolution Unit Bundle
→Constitution & A New Nation Unit Bundle
→Age of Jackson & Sectionalism Unit Bundle
→American Civil War Unit Bundle
→Reconstruction Unit Bundle
→Gilded Age Bundle
→Progressive Era & U.S. Imperialism Unit Bundle
→World War 1 Unit Bundle
→Roaring ’20s & the Great Depression Unit Bundle
→World War 2 Unit Bundle
→Cold War Bundle
→Civil Rights Movement Unit Bundle
© Brainy Apples/Heather LeBlanc, LLC