Unlock History’s Secret Vaults™: US Civil War Activities
♦Why did I create this resource?
I always wanted to share tidbits of interesting information with my students about the topics we studied, but often there wasn’t enough time to fit it in. I didn’t want to just throw random facts at them, so I created a resource that would incorporate these tidbits and encourage student interaction. Some of the facts are common myths or misconceptions, some are controversial and were hidden, and others are just cool trivia facts to learn.
•There are many misconceptions and myths, and I wanted to address this with my students.
•There are also facts that are controversial and were buried throughout history. I wanted my students to be aware of these facts, too.
•Some of the facts I thought were just really cool to learn, and so did my students!
♦How do I use this resource?
This resource is very versatile. You can use the vaults as:
• stations to review at the end of the unit.
• table talks to get students talking to each other and to organize their thoughts.
• bell ringer to start off class with students thinking about the current topic of study.
• early finisher activity.
• time filler for those days when you finish your daily lesson early.
♦Who benefits from this resource?
Every student in your class benefits!
• Reluctant learners who don’t like history will find the facts interesting.
• Advanced students who like to learn as much as possible about history will learn little known facts.
• ELL students will be encouraged to participate in small group discussions to improve their language skills and history knowledge.
• Struggling students who need to participate in small group discussions to think through the content to better understand it.
• ANY student because they will have to use their learned knowledge to formulate their reasoning to determine if a fact is true or false.
♦How do I prepare this resource?
It is super easy! It can be no prep, or all you have to do is make a copy and glue. That’s it!!! It can be prepared in less than 10 minutes, but it can last up to 2 weeks depending on how you use it!
♦What is in this resource?
This resource includes:
•10 color fact vaults, each with an interesting fact that may or may not be true.
•10 answers vaults that explain why the fact is or is not true.
•10 black line fact vaults, for those of you who want to save on color ink. You can print onto color paper!
•recording sheet, for those of you who want students to write their reasoning.
•8 color question cards that can be used to facilitate small group discussions and help students think through their responses.
•8 backline question cards to save on color ink 🙂
•I have also included a separate PowerPoint file with one vault per page if you want to use this resource whole group and not make ANY copies.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Teacher notes p.2-4
Color fact vaults p.5-9
Answer vaults p.10-14
Black line fact vaults p.15-19
Recording page p.20-21
Color question cards p.22
Black line question cards p.23
*Separate file- for using whole group like bell ringers or time fillers*
© Brainy Apples
Heather LeBlanc, LLC